Build Up: Understanding, preventing and treating
If you're experiencing dull, lifeless hair, it may be due to product build up. Product build up occurs when hair products, such as shampoos, conditioners, and styling products, accumulate on the hair and scalp over time, forming a layer that can block moisture and nutrients from penetrating the hair shaft. In this article, we'll explore the causes, symptoms, and treatments of product build up, and provide tips for preventing it.
Causes of Product Build Up
Product build up can occur due to a variety of reasons, including:
- Overuse of hair products: Overusing hair products, such as hairspray, gel, and mousse, can contribute to product build up. Using too much of a product can make it difficult to wash out, leading to residue buildup on the hair and scalp.
- Hard water: Hard water, which contains minerals like calcium and magnesium, can cause product buildup on the hair and scalp. These minerals can react with hair products, forming a sticky residue that can be difficult to remove.
- Using the wrong hair products: Using hair products that are not suitable for your hair type can lead to product buildup. For example, using heavy conditioners on fine hair can weigh it down and contribute to product buildup.
Symptoms of build up
Symptoms of product build up include:
- Dull, lifeless hair
- Dry or itchy scalp
- Flaky scalp
- Difficulty styling hair
- Tangled or knotted hair
Preventing build up
To prevent product build up, you can take the following steps:
- Use a clarifying shampoo: Clarifying shampoos, like our Deep Cleansing Shampoo or Clarifying Shampoo Bar, are designed to remove product build up from the hair and scalp. Use a clarifying shampoo once a week to keep your hair and scalp clean.
- Use the right hair products: Choose hair products that are suitable for your hair type. For example: If you have fine hair, choose lightweight products that won't weigh it down. Do our hair product quiz to find the right products for your hair.
- Use a water filter: Installing a water filter in your shower can help remove minerals and other impurities from the water, reducing the risk of product buildup.
- Don't overuse hair products: A little product goes a long way.
Treating Product Build Up
If you're already experiencing product buildup, you can take the following steps to treat it:
- Use a clarifying shampoo: As mentioned earlier, clarifying shampoos are designed to remove product buildup. Use a clarifying shampoo once a week to remove buildup from the hair and scalp.
- Use clay: Bentonite clay can help remove product buildup from the hair and scalp. Mix equal parts apple cider vinegar and bentonite clay, and use the mixture as a pre-poo before shampooing.
In conclusion, product build up is a common issue that can lead to dull, lifeless hair. By understanding the causes, symptoms, and treatments of product buildup, you can take steps to prevent it and keep your hair and scalp healthy and clean. Remember to choose the right hair products for your hair type, use them in moderation, and use clarifying shampoos regularly to remove product buildup.